As the chill of autumn begins to set in, it reminds us that it is time to bring some coziness back into our rooms. You can do this with layers of texture, color and pattern.
- Rearrange furnishings into intimate groupings and reclaim stored blankets and pillows to warm up your house with the comforts of home. Adding pillows and blankets in rich colors and textures can really change the overall feeling of a room.
- Use area rugs to warm up a vignette and anchor a grouping of furniture.
- Layer window treatments by adding lined drapes to sheers, shades or wooden blinds to existing designs.
- Painting a room is one of the most effective (and least expensive) ways to add warmth to your home décor. For this fall, use colors that are rich and deep, ones that simply sing the praises of autumn. Rich colors will contrast nicely to the starkness of the outside during the winter and can be effective in any size room.
- There are a mecca of different fabrics and textures available for drapes, bedding, pillows, and upholstery this fall, including wonderful chenilles, nubby wools, embroidered silks, faux suedes and leathers as well as sumptuous velvets. Bold patterns continue to be popular in plaids and florals. Don’t be afraid to mix and match patterns to create depth and interest.
- Bring a little bit of nature indoors by taking a piece of your favorite pottery or wooden bowl and filling it with branches, pinecones, or gourds.
- Tease the senses by using candles with spicy scents to develop a warm overall feeling.
- Surround yourself with things you love, get cozy, curl up with a great book and enjoy!!