Protecting solid wood furniture from humidity
While some shrinking and swelling of wood will occur, here’s what to do to manage the moisture and humidity.
- Keep solid wood furniture in a temperature-controlled environment, with the relative humidity at 35 percent to 45 percent.
- We recommend the use of air conditioning as well as investing in a humidifier or dehumidifier to help manage the humidity in your region.
- Do not place solid wood furniture directly in front of windows, heat or air conditioning vents, radiators or fireplaces.
- Do not expose solid wood furniture to continuous direct sunlight.
- Store table leaves as close to the table as possible, so the leaves adjust to the same relative humidity as the table.
- Invest in a hygrometer to measure the humidity level in your home.